Saturday, February 5, 2011

Review - Yoga Booty Ballet

I heard about Yoga Booty Ballet a couple of years ago - it was advertised on one of my other workout DVDs (probably Hip Hop Abs), and it looked really fun and challenging, so it ended up on my Christmas list this year. I believe there are several discs available (and a number of different workouts) - I just got one, but it has both Beginner and Advanced workouts on it - Yoga Booty Ballet Total Toning Basics and Advanced Abs & Booty.

Yoga Booty Ballet: Total Toning Basics / Advanced Fat BurningI have to say, the first time I tried it, I was not impressed. I am not sure if I was just paying so much attention to the instructions and following along, that I just couldn't get into the groove, or what. It seemed long, difficult, and not that fun. I was not really looking forward to doing it again, but I'm so glad I gave it another try!

After the first time, I've loved it more every time! I've only done the Beginner level so far, but it is totally kicking my butt (literally), so I think I'll do this one for a while before trying the Advanced one.

This disc also claims to have a "14-minute Yoga Booty Ballet Beginner Quickstart" routine, but it's really not what it sounds like. It is definitely useful to go through this the first time you use the program, as it does introduce some moves in a slower fashion, gets you to relax, discusses safety tips, etc. It is NOT a workout though, and is followed by a long and (in my opinion) rather cheesy "meditation" which I really could have done without. I would have much rather had a shorter version of the full routine. The Basic level is about 45 minutes, which is sometimes too long for me to fit into my schedule (though I try to work it in a couple of times a week). It would have been nice to also have maybe a 20-minute version of the actual routine, which I could do on days when I'm short on time, but still want a quick workout.

Yoga Booty BalletImage by joeyGibson via FlickrAnyway, overall I'm very pleased. It is fast-paced, and really fun (once you get into it), and those 45 minutes really FLY by, since it's divided up into so many different segments (ballet, toning/cardio, yoga, and abs, plus stretching). Once I learned to follow it and relax, it is fun, fun, fun!  And the next day, I am sore, sore sore! It is much more challenging than I thought it would be. I've been doing Pilates and Yoga regularly for ages, and this one still makes my abs (and butt) burn like crazy every time. But it's not a marathon - each segment just takes me to about where I can't do anymore, and then it is on to the next section, so it really is an effective workout that keeps you interested and having fun throughout.

I would definitely recommend it, but just be aware that it only has two workouts on it - not 3 like the box says. Also if it seems too challenging at first, wait a few days, and give it another couple of tries - I really think you'll like it.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Get Your Own Yoga Booty Ballet:
          

No comments:

Post a Comment