Thursday, January 6, 2011

Fun - and Effective - Exercise Tip: Mix It Up!

Curso de Instructor de PilatesImage via WikipediaI am a firm believer in mixing up your routine, when it comes to exercise. For me, the main reason is I get bored easily! Even if I find a new workout I really love (like Yoga Meltdown, or Hip Hop Abs), if I do it too often without throwing other stuff in there, I get burned out on it, and then my favorite new workout becomes old news and I am not motivated to do it anymore. This is why I'm always trying new workout videos and ideas.

But there's another great reason for varying your routine, which I was reminded of last night when I pulled out one of my old favorite Pilates videos.... I used to be a Pilates convert, almost to the exclusion of anything else. I got hooked on Brook Silers' book, The Pilates Body, and I did my exercises faithfully at least 3 times a week, for over 5 years - I loved it; I felt so strong, lean, toned, and flexible. Then I hurt my back, and was out of commission for months, and that was the end of Pilates  - at least, of my dedicated routine. I did pick it back up slowly, months later, but it was too late - I was out of shape, and out of my habit, and I've never gotten back into it with the same dedication.

Caribbean Workout: Core PilatesI do still enjoy Pilates though, and I've picked up a few new resources, and I try to keep it in the mix fairly regularly. I've gotten so into Yoga though, for the past few months, and then since my back flare-up in October, I realized I haven't done Pilates at all....  Figuring it was time to mix it up a little, I pulled out my Core Pilates video last night (one of my favorites - it's fun, challenging, and the workouts are each only 20 minutes long), and WOW!  It seemed SO hard! Which surprised me, as I've been doing quite a bit of Yoga and other strengthening exercises, so I didn't think I would have lost that much core strength.... Some of the exercises (which I used to think were fairly easy) seemed so challenging I was unable to complete all the reps.

I felt great, and stronger, after finishing it, but I definitely realized I need to keep Pilates in my workout repertoire!  I figured Yoga would work the same muscles, but apparently though similar, they are different enough that just focusing on one allows me to lose muscle strength in other areas.... So back to Pilates it is, and since it's been a while, hopefully I'll enjoy it more than ever!

If you find you're getting bored with an exercise video or style, try a similar type of exercise, or a different workout in the same style - not only will you enjoy it more, and be more motivated to exercise, but your body probably needs it as well. Working out all the same muscles all the time can lead to imbalance and pain, which then of course leads you to exercise less, which is the absolute worst thing for your body, if you want to stay strong and healthy. Mix it up, have fun, and give your body a new challenge!

Try some of the workouts below, or visit our website at www.newholisticliving.com/exercise.html for some more ideas.

Enhanced by Zemanta


No comments:

Post a Comment