Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Review - Pilates Body Kit

I've been a long-time fan of Brooke Siler's book, The Pilates Body. This book was actually my introduction to Pilates, over 10 years ago now. Her clear pictures, instructions, and explanations of what an exercise should feel like really made them come alive for me - much more so than most exercise books usually do. I actively used the book at least 3 times a week for over 4 years. This was before my back injury, and after that happened, I was unable to do Pilates for many months. Sadly, this was the end of my good habit that I had built.... Since then, I have continued to do Pilates exercises from time to time, but I never got back into such a regular routine again. I must admit that I miss it! Pilates never fails to make me feel great, and unlike other exercise routines, not overly tired or in pain, yet it still strengthens my muscles.

I've tried some Pilates videos, which I enjoy, but I would really love to find one by Brooke Siler - apparently she does not have one (at least not yet). I have had her "Pilates Body Kit" on my "wish list" for some time, and recently someone gave me one as a gift. (I had debated buying this, as I wasn't sure how helpful the CD format would be.... I have gotten really used to working out to videos, as I find they give me the best examples of proper form, as well as motivation and fun.)

So I tried the kit a couple of days ago, for the first time, and....I love it!

Brooke Siler's Pilates Body Kit
The kit consists of two audio CDs, a workbook to track your progress, and about 70 flash cards - each card containing an exercise, pictures, tips, and do's & don'ts for that exercise.

I was very pleasantly surprised with how well this works. The CD really gave me good instruction and guidance, and I found it very helpful for pacing. (I tend to go too fast, which lessens the effects of the exercises, as well as possibly making me more prone to injury.) Having Brooke guide me through each exercise at the right pace, and with reminders of what to focus on, was very helpful. I did find it worked best to review each card before doing the exercise, and I found myself hurrying through these while the audio was playing. Next time I think I will pull out the cards for the exercises I will do for that session, and review them all before I start the audio. Then I can just quickly glance at each card when it comes time for that exercise, and will already be familiar with the form.

She says she tried to set it up like an actual class, but I just did the preliminary exercises the first time (that was plenty! My whole body was sore for 2 days!) - so have yet to get to the "mat class" portion. It did almost feel like being in a class though, and I very much enjoyed it. I am already familiar with most of the exercises and the way she does them, since they are the same as the ones in the book. However, I think the kit will actually prove to be even more helpful to me than the book, easier to follow (and hopefully stick with) - and more fun! 

I highly recommend it, whether you've ever tried Pilates before or not. She is very good about giving beginner tips and modifications, so you can start at your own level and work your way up to the more advanced exercises. If you've been wanting to try Pilates but haven't gotten around to it, or you don't feel comfortable going to a class, this will give you more guidance than the book version, and probably an even better work out.

If you want to check it out - you can usually find it super-cheap on Amazon.com.
 













Other Good Pilates Resources by Brooke Siler:
   
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment